22 Sep Some Important Facts About Vertebral Compression Fracture
Vertebral compression fracture is mostly dangerous for old people and people having some kind of bone related disease. The blocks of the vertebral column get compressed causing immense pain and immobility. The causes of spine compression fracture are many.Some of them are discussed below:
Main causes of vertebral compression Fracture
- Trauma or accidents- Generally old people, if they have an accident like falling from a great height, are likely to suffer from vertebral compression fractures. That is why you should take good care of your loved ones all the more when you are driving. Car accidents have also said to be the cause of such misfortunes.
- Osteoporosis- It is a bone disease, generally of the aged people, where the bones get brittle giving rise to such unfortunate circumstances. Women generally suffer from the disease after their menopause. Osteoporosis is one of the most important reasons why vertebral compression failure occurs.
- Pathological disorders- If someone has a history of bone cancer or related disorder, the chances for vertebral compression fracture increases. Cancers have the reputation of traveling inside your body and if they reach your bones, vertebral compression failure is one of the most common problems that can occur to you.
How will you know that you may have vertebral compression fracture?
The most common symptoms of vertebral compression fracture has been jotted below:
- No doubt, the first of all symptoms will be pain. Generally your lower backside experiences the pain but it can also be sensed in your hips, thighs or abdomen if the condition becomes more serious. Some patients have also reported to a neck pain due to vertebral compression fracture.
- The patient will face difficulties to urinate or pass stool. Pain will follow and urination can stop altogether. This is an emergency condition which has to be treated immediately. Again sometimes, they also may not be very able to control urine or stool. Simply put, anomalies will occur, although it will be perceived differently in different people.
- If the nervous system is affected you may feel numbness around the fractured area.
There are other symptoms as well but the most common ones are mentioned above. In all cases, you have to visit a qualified and experienced orthopedist if the problem persists for sometime.
A few more essential facts about vertebral compression fracture
- People in their old ages are more prone to compression fractures. So, take care of your loved ones when they grow old. Do not let them lift up heavy objects or bend low to pick something fallen at their feet. However, if the chronic back pain is already there, it is best to visit a reputed orthopedists for check up.
- Many people do not seem to take care of their back pains that persists over a long time. Sometimes, they are not just some old age sign but vertebral compression fractures that should be taken care of immediately.
So, whether you are having a back pain or vertebral compression fracture, let the doctors be the judge of it. All you have to do is go to a reputed pain management clinic and get yourselves thoroughly checked.